Welcome to the Toronto Transplant Institute. We are proud to introduce a new activity report called “Transplant in Motion”. This monthly report will highlight developments and news across participating institutions within the Transplant Institute, including the University Health Network, the Department of Immunology, St. Michael’s Hospital and the Hospital for Sick Children.
Over the next 3-5 years, we will focus on a number of initiatives.
Examples of Identified Education Priorities:
- Further education of fellows by overseeing the AFC Diploma Certification training at UHN, SMH and HSC.
- Support innovation in education by awarding cross institutional grants for educational programs which place an emphasis on collaboration across disciplines and programs.
- Improve organ donation through High School Outreach Initiatives. This collaboration is with TGLN and involves transplant physicians and coordinators.
- Extend the Training Program in Regenerative Medicine (TPRM) with its existing online components, workshops, speakers, summer program and funding for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows.
- Continue yearly educational initiatives: Principals of Immunology course, Epidemiology training course (SPICE&B) and the MOT student training program.
Examples of Identified Clinical and Research Priorities:
- Establish dedicated and comprehensive transitional care programs and clinics to aid transitions from pediatric to adult care.
- Joint Living Donor recognition events every 1-2 years among three transplant programs.
- Kidney ex-vivo clinical trial as a combined effort between UHN, HSC and SMH.
- Development of standardize risk templates for utilization of exceptional distribution donors.
Our first activity report celebrates our first Education Innovation Competition, pays tribute to two of our own leaders in transplant and recognizes the hard work and dedication of transplant students. At the bottom of each story there will be a comment box for feedback. Just as stories are posted, specific questions to the transplant community will be posted. This is an opportunity for you to connect with other members.
As you move along the top toolbar you can learn more about who we are and what we do. You can also view highlighted publications in research and innovation, learn what’s happening at each site through the latest media coverage and connect to the community through our events listing.
Like all great publications, the work posted is from a team of dedicated professionals. With your contribution we can develop an informative report. To make this happen, we want to hear from you, we want to know your story and highlight the research that matters to you. Here’s your opportunity to share what you have to offer.
How can I post my information?
You can connect with Sarah Ferguson, MOT’s Education and Communications Coordinator by email at email@example.com or by phone at 416-340-4800 ext: 5278
Sarah will develop regular communication pieces through interviews with all staff in the transplant community. Please send her your information and she will work with you to post it in a timely manner.
If you wish to share “Transplant in Motion” with a colleague or friend please point out the “Subscription” bar at the top right side of the page. Once they have signed up, they will receive their first report the following month.
We hope that you enjoy this month’s activity report and are inspired to be a part of the growing conversation in transplant.